We really believe that microchips make a difference in finding lost pets. To show just how far a pet can travel, I pulled eight stories from the news and illustrated them on this map. Most of these animals were found thousands of miles away from home. None of them were wearing visible identification. All these pets were reunited with their families because they had microchips with up-to-date information in a registry.
To read more about the individual stories of each pet, click on their name.
- Willow (Cat) Colorado to New York City - Missing for 5 years, found 2,000 miles away.
- Jacque (Cat) Mississippi to Colorado - Missing for 2 years, found 1,000 miles away.
- Waylon (Cat) Florida to Colorado - Missing for 7 months, found 2,000 miles away.
- Kane (Dog) Arizona to Oregon - Missing for 9 months, found 2,300 miles away.
- Sassy (Dog) Kentucky to Pennsylvania – Missing for 17 months, found 400 miles away.
- Leia (Dog) Texas to Colorado - Missing for 2 years, found 700 miles away.
- Puka (Dog) Kentucky to New Mexico - Missing for 18 months, found 1,200 miles away.
- Jasmine (Dog) Indiana to Georgia - Missing for 1 month, found 500 miles away.
Do you think any of these pets would have made it home if they didn’t have a microchip?
Tell me in the comments below.