People are becoming more and more aware of how the products they use in their day-to-day lives affect them and our planet. However, something that’s often overlooked is our impact on our pet’s lives! As they aren’t able to control what products we purchase or use, it’s important for us to make sure that we keep them in mind. I’m going to share my favorite green pet care tips and provide a few easy and cheap ways to help “Green your pet”!
- Cleaning Up Carpet & Fabric: accidents will happen. When you need to clean up spots on a carpet or furniture, try reaching for an all-natural cleaning product like Nature’s Miracle Odor and Stain Remover. You can also get the job done using cheap, natural products that you probably have sitting in your pantry already. For wet messes on carpet or fabric, first clean up any solids, and then sprinkle the area liberally with baking soda. The baking soda will not only help neutralize any odor, but also absorb the moisture. Let sit for at least an hour then simply vacuum the baking soda up! White vinegar and water can be used to clean spots away. Mix equal parts white vinegar and warm water in a spray bottle or bowl, apply liberally to spotted area, then wipe up with a dry rag or sponge after at least 15 minutes. Should be good as new!
- Cleaning Up Tile & Hardwood: you can mop your hardwood or tile floors with the same solution of white vinegar and hot water. Instead of using harsh chemical cleaners, you can also use Dr. Bronners Castille Soap with a machine washable and reusable mop. Dr. Bronners 18 uses in 1 soap come in many different scents like lavender, eucalyptus and citrus. It’s safe for people and pets, cleans well and smells wonderful.
- Odors: pets can get funky smelling, and so can their beds, the furniture, and the carpets. Don’t reach for that deodorizer with the long list of chemical compounds on the label! You can go back to your pantry again to deodorize the house. For carpets, sprinkle the carpet with baking soda, let sit for 30 minutes, and then vacuum. The baking soda will absorb the doggy odor and leave the carpet smelling fresh. Remember your vinegar and water mixture? It will also deodorize pet beds and furniture. Simply spray the mixture on the offending areas and allow to evaporate. This technique will also work with any vodka you have laying around the house too!
- Bathing: bathing your pet with organic shampoos may be beneficial to their health and will limit chemical run-off. We like to use 100% organic soaps like Cloud Star’s Buddy Wash lavender & mint shampoo, which is made with all natural ingredients and contains no chemicals or additives. It is so gentle you can use it on your own hair if you all of the sudden find you are out one Monday morning!
- Toys: you can make your own toys, or purchase responsibly made and recyclable toys like the Hurley made by West Paw, which has a line designed to be recyclable and to create virtually no waste during their manufacturing process. My dog’s favorite toy right now is an empty water bottle!
These are just a few methods to start greening your home and your pet’s life.
Let us know in the comments if you’ve got any tips or recommended products we should add to our Amazon Store. All proceeds from items purchased from the Found Animals Amazon Store are donated to help pets in shelters!