Fostering kittens is a great way to make a difference for animals in your community. Kittens are adorable, playful and full of happiness and energy from the tip of their baby noses to the toes on their tiny paws. Opening your home to foster kittens may seem like daunting task, but the rewards far outweigh the challenges. If you have ever thought about becoming a foster parent, now is the time when the animal shelters really need you. Here are our top 5 reasons why fostering is fantastic.
1) Kittens are Therapeutic: Kittens will put a smile on your face. Their baby feline antics will continually have you laughing out loud. Kittens are usually working on their motor skills, playing and exploring their environment. If you foster more than one (and we recommend you do!) you’ll love the way they groom and cuddle with one another. After a long day at work, a cuddly kitten will help you relax and feel serene – it’s been scientifically proven.
2) Have a fear of commitment? Then fostering is for you: Fostering means you care for the kitten in your home, temporarily, until it is old enough to be put up for adoption. The length of time you have your kittens depends on their age when you get them. We will do our best to match you with the right kitten or kittens based on your situation and desired length of commitment. We ask that you commit to a minimum of two weeks for any kittens going into foster. However, most foster parents keep their kittens for the duration of their time needed, which on average ranges from three to four weeks. Since all kittens belong to Found Animals, we will take them back at any time if you are no longer able to care for them. We do ask that you give us advanced notice to accommodate the returning kittens.
3) You’ll Learn a lot: Fostering is a great way to show your children the miracle of life as well as how to care for animals. This teaches the younger generation valuable lessons about pet care and responsibility. It will help prepare them in the event you want to adopt a cat of your own in the future. Our adoption counselors are only an email away and can provide support as well as answer any questions you may have. You will also learn about cat behavior, especially if you have other cats or dogs in your home.
4) We supply the goods to get you started: We will give you a starter pack of food and litter, as well as any medications the kitten may need. However fosters will be required to provide some necessary supplies for adequate care of their foster kittens. Those items include: litter box & scooper, food & water bowls and other comfort items like toys and blankets. Many of these items can be purchased at the 99 cent store and toys can be homemade (a wonderful thing about cats is that they will play with anything!).
5) You Will Save a Life: Fostering saves lives. There is nothing more satisfying than holding a purring fur-ball in your hand and knowing that because of you, this youngster will be able to grow up and have a home and family. For a small and pleasurable effort, few things in life yield such enormous results.
If you live in the Southern California area and want to learn more about becoming a foster parent, please visit our foster program page.
If you live outside of Southern California and want to support our foster kitten program, you can purchase an item for as little as $2 from our Amazon Wishlist.
Do you have any questions about fostering? Leave us a comment below.